muslims-unity.societyforum.net

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

important words for non-arabs to learn 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kawthar
admin

PostSubject: important words for non-arabs to learn 4   Thu May 01, 2008 8:35 am

1.rak`ah: a "unit" or "cycle" of prayer, consistingof standing and reciting Surat al-Fatihah, bowing, standing upright again, then kneeling and prostrating twice. Prayers consist of two, three or four rak`ahs.

2.sadaqah: charity.

3.Sahabah: the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH).

4.Sahabi: singular of Sahabah.

5.sahih: with reference to ahadith, sound, authentic.

6.salaf: the early generations of Muslims, i.e., the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) and the generation immediately following them.

8.salat: the "formal" prayer which is to be offered five times daily.

9.shari`ah: Islamic law

10.Shawwal: the tenth month of the Islamic calendar, immediately following Ramadan.

11.shirk: polytheism, the sin of associating anything in worship with Allah. This is the only sin for which there will be no forgiveness: if a person dies as a mushrik, he is truly doomed.

12.sirah: biography, specifically that of the Prophet (PBUH).

13.siwak: a small stick which comes from a specific tree and is used as a toothbrush. In the West, siwak may be purchased at Islamic bookstores and halal grocery stores.

14.subh: another name for fajr (early morning) prayer.

15.suhur: the pre-dawn meal eaten before fasting.

16.tabarruj: wanton display, flaunting oneself in contradiction to the Islamic rulings on dress and modest behaviour.

17.Tabi`i: (literally "follower") a member of the generation of Muslims following the Sahabah, may Allah be pleased with them. A Muslim who met or saw a Sahabi is described as a Tabi`i.

18.tahajjud: voluntary prayer that is performed at night between the times of `isha' and fajr.

19.tajwid: correct recitation of Qur'an, following precise rules of pronunciation and articulation.

20.takbir: saying "Allahu akbar."

21.taqwa: piety, "God-consciousness." Taqwa involves constant awareness and remembrance of Allah, and conscious efforts to adhere to His commandments and abstain from whatever He has forbidden
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://muslims-unity.forumotion.com

important words for non-arabs to learn 4
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1